Muscle loss

Thank you for your time first of all. My question is about muscle loss. I have less muscle in my Quads and Glutes than I had previouly for many years. I assume is a result of being hiv positive for many years and being on many different combination therapies. I would prefer to improve this issue without the use of drugs. I currently work out seriously 4 times a week. My question: Is it possible for someone like myself who is in great health and physical condition to improve these areas over time using diet and exercise alone? This is my preference if possible. I don't need a quick fix as I am willing to work at it if I have a chance to rebuild it naturally. I prefer to stay away from any drugs that are not really necessary as I feel the hiv related drugs are already hard enough on my body. Thanks in advance, Rick - Phoenix, AZ

Response from Dr. Moyle

Dear Rick, assuming that your free testosterone level is normaland there is no myopathy (get your dr to check the CK enzyme) you should be able to put back on muscle mass. As we get older it is harder to maintain muscle mass but not impossible. Talk to the gym instructor about a work out schedule directed to your goals...higher weights and fewer reps with workouts 3X a week is often what is suggested for gaining mass. Also watch your diet so that you are getting enough protein. I think it is sensible to avoid requesting anabolic agents. Regards Graeme Moyle

Meds for lipodystrophy
Lipoatrophy & Plastic Surgery