Looking for an educated guess

Drs, I have been on a Dr approved 'holiday' from all HIV drugs for 2 years now. I had pretty bad fat loss in my extremities, but esp in my face. The fat seems to be coming back somewhat on my arms and legs (oh and my butt) - but my face is still a real problem. It is definitely better. The skin feels thick again and there is a little padding under it. My temples still look terrible. Any data on what I can expect if I continue off the drugs? Lab markers are fine. Will the fat continue to return - or is this it? Also, I had a small b hump and large belly. The b hump is much better, but still there and stomach is hardly any better at all. Any thoughts about fat accumulations? I know being off the drugs for this long is a new phenomenon and there probably isn't much data. I guess I'm looking for an educated guess. Thanks

Response from Dr. Moyle

You are right that there is virtually no data to inform this issue but most of us now believe, based on several switch studies, that fat recovery continues over time at about the same rate...i.e. it doesn't speed up or slow down as you get more. How long each area takes to look normal or better will vary a lot between individuals but its reasonable to consider that 'normal' may take 5 years or more to be achieved. Remember normal won't be what you looked like 7 or 8 years ago! In the meantime facial fillers like NewFill and bioalcamid are about all you can do. Unfortunately, the temple area seems one of the harder to treat with these fillers. Regards fat gain, again reversal is slow and the only things that can help here are careful attention to diet (probably best is high fibre, high in omega 3 fats) and exercise. Stick with it but don't ignore your numbers. If you need to restart medications do so, but hope that you can choose ones this time that wont impact the fat recovery. Regards Graeme Moyle

Request
Side-Effects -Time for Change and New Decisions.