drug holiday

i've been diagnosed with hiv for 12 years. 5 years ago i started having severe headaches accompanied by nausea and vomitting. ct scan and mri showed what appeared to be viral lesions which they thought was pml. however i displayed no other neurolgical symptoms. so they started me on 3tc, neverapine, and stavudine. i was never able to tolerate azt. i saw a neuro surgeon who did not think i had pml. subsequent mri's have remained the same as the first one i had. all my counts have been very good and consistent. last cd4 over 1000 and viral load less than 50. i approached my doctor regarding stopping my meds for a while, but she did not think it was a good idea because she feels i have pml and if we stopped the meds things may get worse. now other specialists have said they do not think its pml. what would you suggest. is a drug holiday a good idea.

Response from Dr. Moyle

I think its best to stick with your meds. The pharmacology of your drugs mean that an interuption my risk some resistance to the nevirapine developing during the stopping phase and there is a possiblity that the brain lesions may reactivate or progress as your CD4 will plummet off therapy. If you are getting side effects I will talk to your doctor about drug substitutions rather than stopping Regards Graeme Moyle

veins appearing in eye brow area
Wasting Reversal?