weight gain

i have a serious problem. i was taking kaletra and trisvir. then my doctor suggested i quit smoking. he prescribed wellbutrin. I got very sick. so i stopped all medication. i was gaining weight but now the weight gain is unstoppable. i am getting too fat. i know that most people with hiv would love to gain weight but this is excessive. i found a new doctor but my question is what type of HIV medication could i take that would not promote weight gain.

Response from Dr. Moyle

To be clear, you are gaining weight off therapy and off cigarettes. It is common to gain weight after stopping smoking. This is usually due to increased intake...instead of occupuying you mouth with a cigarette you occupy it with food. The escape this one has to control this 'oral fixation'. Beginning an exercise program is the next step, to start burning extra calories. Regards anitretrovirals it is some PIs like Kaletra that tend to be associated with truncal or central fat gain (and for Kaletra substantial lipid changes too). If you have the option I would generally go for an efavirenz based regimen. But ultimately don't blame the drugs exclusively for wt gain...its about calories eaten and calories burned I hope this helps Regards Graeme Moyle

MITOCHONDRIAL TOXICITY
facial wasting