Scared

I read this site daily. I was recently diagnosed in 11/02 and am not on meds yet, my vl is 15,000 and tc are 650. The posts about the side effects scare me, I don't want to look like I am sick by getting facial wasting and fat redistribution. What percentage of people that have hiv get these side effects and how concerned so I need to be about this?

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Moyle

Thanks for being a loyal reader! One survey in Germany suggested that over 3 years of treatment (generally with d4T or AZT and a PI) about one third of patients had some signs. More recent studies like Gilead 903 had seen much lower rates by doctor report...at 2 years in this study <1% of folks on tenofovir/3TC/efavirenz and 12% of people on d4T/3TC/efavirenz were reported to have lipodystrophy

I hope this helps Regards Graeme

scared now
What do you have to do to get a question answered around here