The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Tryglicerides & Cholesterol
Dec 12, 2003

Since I suffer from both cholesterol and tryglicerides, can I eat jam, marmalade, sugar & honey?

Fish - When it comes to oily fish in cans, is it ok to eat Tuna in olive oil, or Mackerel fillet in mustard sauce??? Or it must be only in water?

What about Smoked salmon,Can I eat that or is it too salty? And Rillettes of tuna?

Can I put some bread crumbs on some dishes? and are fibrates such as Lipantil good for me?

Custard cream - Can I use some custard cream to make cream with skim milk?

What about flour, can I do some white sauce using white flour and skimmed milk? Or should I use Corn Flour?

Is the combination of meat together with bread or rice, or potato not good?

Response from Dr. Moyle

Sounds like you should see a dietitian at your clinic. The best diet for cholesterol and triglyceride elevation is one low in saturated (animal)fats, with plenty of omega-3 fats (fish, anola and falx oil, flax seeds) and loads of fresh fruit and veges and plenty of fibre. The fish dishes you mention sound great but you should limit your custard intake and avaoid sodas. Skimmed milk is preferred. Bread and rice or potatos are OK for lipids. Exercise and keeping your weight in the 'normal' range also helps. Fibrate and statin drugs are used to lower lipids. You doctor will assess your risk of heart disease in the future before deciding whether these types of drugs are needed Regards

Graeme Moyle

kaletra and combivir and facial wasting
more about humps

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint