kaletra and combivir and facial wasting

Hello...I am on kaletra and combivir...is there high risk for facial wasting, etc with this combo. I just started two days ok. viral 160,000 and tcell 350. I am 32 years old. Thanks so much

Response from Dr. Moyle

Its a bit old fashioned to start on twice daily regimens especially with so many pills. Kaletra is one of the worst culprits for raising blood fats and combinations of AZT (in combivir) or d4T (wich you are not on) and most protease inhibitors (like Kaletra) are the regimens most associated with fat loss over time. A much simpler and as effective regimen with be one based on abacavir/3TC or Tenofovir/FTC and efavirenz. These once daily regimens are also the ones least associated with fat loss and a proven in people with high viral loads at treament commencement Regards

Graeme Moyle

Facial lipid bumps
Tryglicerides & Cholesterol