TNF Alpha/lipoatrophy and lipodystrophy

Hello, Dr. Moyle,

I just received test results and my TNF Alpha level is 3, (below 20 is the reference range/normal for the test).

I have read that a high TNF Alpha level is the culprit is wasting/lipoatrophy as well as for rapid disease progression. Is this true and, if I maintain a very low TNF Alpha level while not yet on HAART, does that mean I will not have wasting syndrome or lipoatrophy/lipodystrophy?

I'd also much appreciate your advising whether very low TNF Alpha levels are the norm for HIV infection (2 years after infection)or are high levels the norm for this relatively early stage?

Many thanks.

Regards,

Ian

Response from Dr. Moyle

In generally, TNF, a 'pro-inflammatory' cytokine is raised by advancing HIV infection but is especially high in persons with wasting and active opportunistic infections. I could not find any reseach that pointed to TNF levels as a marker of risk of HIV progression. Its use as a diagnostic tool is limited.

Regards

Graeme Moyle

Graeme

What is it about protease inhibitors anyway?
TNF Alpha and lipoatrophy