Dec 7, 2003
Would a measurement of TNF alpha or Interleukin-6 be a reasonable berometer for wasting? If not, why not?
Response from Dr. Moyle
You are right that TNF may be high and IL-6 low in wasting (and in fat tissue from people with lipoatrophy) but the are not 'diagnostic' as there are many reasons why these cytokines may be transiently affected without wasting and even in the setting of wasting they may not be outside a normal range Regards Graeme
Ground Flaxseed and Estrogen
Blue Nails & HIV?
- When You Get A Pap Smear Do They Test For Genital Herpes?
- What Will The Doctor Do If You Have Genital Warts?
- What Percentage Of People In The World Have Bacterial Vaginosis?
- What Medicines Are Used To Treat Bacterial Vaginosis?
- What Kind Of Vitamin To Take For Herpes?
- What Is The Drug Of Choice To Treat Gonorrhea?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.