weight loss and

Dr. Moyle,

I have been on HIV meds since at least 1989, beginning with AZT. Since I have ran the course of most everything...PI's. Three trips to the emergency room with Crixivan in 98. I've developed polycythemia and cannot take oxandrin. My current regime is Sustiva, videx, and I just replaced viread with ziagen, because I was becoming pre-diabetic. I was so fatigued that I was sleeping 12-14 houirs a day. I have always been into bodybuilding and was very muscular, but now I'm down to 148lbs and my height is 5'9"

I did start taking megase about ten days ago and have picked up 6 pounds. I expressed concerns to my Dr. about the videx and wasting and she wants me to start back on AZT. I've read much bad press on AZT and am having second thoughts. Is there anything that would work? My t-cells have just dropped from 217 to 126, also. I'm a mess...please help.

Response from Dr. Moyle

This sounds too complicated for a written answer. You need to spend some time with your HIV provider discussing issues. There is no evidence that AZT is 'better' for wasting than ddI and if you have failed AZT in the past switching back may risk your viral control. It wont help you T cells either. It may be your T cells are low because of an infection...you should discuss with your doctor if an infection work up is indicated. The fact that you have regained some weight with megace is good news, it says that incresing food intake is important for increasing your weight. After years of oxandrin use you may also need some testosterone supplements. After you been off megace for a month, get your testosterone measured. He should check other hormones like thyroid then too.

I hope this provides a starting point

Regards Graeme Moyle

Carnitine deficiency Hiv related
Restoration of lipo in face