Lipo and Trizivir

Doc. In the past couple of month I notice that my face is wasting, I think is because of the trizivir. I am poz since 1989 3,000VL 900CD4and it has been during the past 9mo. Would a med interuption help reverse the wasting/lipo? Thank you in advance for your help.

Response from Dr. Moyle

If I read this right you are on trizivir and have a detectable viral load and a high CD4 count. I think that if your CD 4 count has never been low (less than 200) in the past then it may well be a good idea to have a resistance test sample drawn and to take a treatment holiday both to prevent further evolution of viral resistance and to give your body some chance to recover from the changes which have recently begun. You can then reinitiate therapy when your CD 4 count has reached a range where current guidelines would encourage treatment initiation (somewhere between 200 and 350). Given your current CD 4 count this could be a number of years away!

Always discuss these matters with your doctor before you make a decision.

Best wishes

Graeme Moyle

Perisphinctal Fat Loss
Combivir/Viread/Saqniavir/Ritonavir?