Perisphinctal Fat Loss

I have been HIV for 15 years now and have experienced some lipodystrophy, more so in my lower extremities mainly my buttock. My Dr. called it Perisphinctal (sp) Fat Loss. I used to have a really full buttock but now the skin hangs from my lower butt/top of inner thigs to my testicales. I find it so very unattractive that I will not let anyone see me naked from behind, really crimps the dating scene.

This happened about 4 years ago whereby I switched to Sustive/Combivir. I have had a slight reversal everywhere except my butt. My Dr. said "brown" fat is very difficult to replace.

Do you know of any cosmetic surgeon who may be able to fix this. The ones I have contacted said there is nothing that can be done.

Thank you for any and all help.

Response from Dr. Moyle

I have never heard of this unusual expression, but I know what you mean. Loss of fat in the butt it is a common manifestation of lipodystrophy and leads to not only undesirable aesthetics but also discomfort with sitting and some other activities. There are several plastic surgery techniques which may help including the insertion of silicon breast implants into the buttock area and injections of Bioalcimed. There may also be some benefits to be gained from exercise, the use of testosterone supplementation if you have low testosterone and, in particular, I have seen good improvement in buttock size and tone during therapy with growth hormone. Additionally as you are on a regimen that contains AZT it may be worthwhile considering changing this drug over to either abacavir or tenofovir as these drugs may allow some recovery of fat and muscle tone to occur.

I hope this issue some ideas to discuss with your doctor

Regards

Graeme Moyle

testosterone
Lipo and Trizivir