For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Needs Advice

I have been diagnosed 8 months viral load has been 100,000 with my T4 count at last test had my viral load at 40,000 and my T4's @ 110

They have perscribed Combivir 2x' a day with 600mg of Sustiva per day

I am very concerned with wasting of my face and body, and from what I read the Combivir is the culpret?

Can you suggest a combination that will prevent the wasting syndrome?

I am 34, 6'1", 180lbs, I generally feel and am told I look amazing these days. I had a little lung infection in January for which I know take Biactrim daily. I have a healthy appetite and regular movements and am very scared to begin taking the pills.

I used to work as a model and know that I could not live with the wasting syndrome.

I would appreciate any advice or medication suggestions you can give.

Response from Dr. Moyle

Over 80 weeks in one trial (ACTG 384) the average person on your combination did not loose fat. That said certainly persons who have only ever taken an AZT based regimen can get fat loss. The general impression is that Abacavir or tenofovir may be lower risk choices. Both of these would also enable your combination to be taken once daily

Graeme Moyle

combivir vs ziagen
pep and lipodystrophy