Time to get rid of AZT?

I have been POZ for 24 yrs and on meds for the last 14 yrs I started with AZT and added new meds as my Dr. thought it would be benificial. I have never failed a med. or combination of meds. (when you look at my T-cells and Viral load). About 5 yrs. ago I went on totally new combination which included Viricept and DDI D4t and I saw the fat dissapear, so I swithed back to AZT 3Tc and added Abacavir and Sustiva that seemed to slow down the fat loss and I have mantained 500 T-cell count and a viral load from undetectable to 90. I am happy about that - but now I am seeing more fat loss and my upper stomach below my chest is expanding, I feel the organs are growing (Crixo Belly?) I am not sure what to do next, except from reading here on The Body.com That AZT could be the next drug I should think about changing. WHAT DO YOU THINK? and WHAT WOULD YOU REPLACE IT WITH? (I will be talking with my Dr. about all this and your input would be greatly appreciated). I want to say also THE BODY.COM has been a GREAT help, informing me about many HIV related Topics Thanks for your wounderful help!!!!! :-)

Response from Dr. Moyle

It is certainly possible that AZT is contributing to the persistence of lipoatrophy although there are some research which suggest that fat can recover on AZT containing regimens. The obvious drug to change to is viread. The one caution is that viread/3TC/ziagen may be a 'weak' backbone based on a recent study where just these 3 drugs were used together. The sustiva, based on some limited experience, should be enough to keep the combo going. I suspect it may be better to wait a bit and see if you recover some more fat as it would be a pity to embark on a unnecessary misadventure.

I hope this helps

Regards

Graeme Moyle

Drug combo. for slowing/halting lipoatrophy
New Fill Illegal?