Drug combo. for slowing/halting lipoatrophy

Hello Doctor, Have been on combo. of Viramune, Zerit, and Epivir for the past 5 yrs. Undetectable vl and CD4 counts btn. 500 and 850. Desire now to switch due to lipoatrophy in face,arms, legs, buttocks. Doc. says Combivir and Sustiva have had good results. Told doc. that I would rather not take Combivir, due to presence of AZT and it's association with lipo. I suggested switching out the Zerit for Ziagen. Doc. said this is not a common comb., but is do-able. What are your suggestions? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Response from Dr. Moyle

A switch to Ziagen is the most well proven approach and in my practice ziagen+ epivir is now a very common nuc backbone. There are plans for a combo tablet of these drugs to be available next year and probably as a once day single pill. The recent ICAAC conference, which your doc may have attended, had several favorable sdudies of ziagen, epivir and sustiva.

I hope this helps

Regards

Graeme

ziagen vs. viread to replace d4t (taken with 3TC & efavirenz)
Time to get rid of AZT?