Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ziagen vs. viread to replace d4t (taken with 3TC & efavirenz)
Oct 4, 2003

Hi, I am suffering from a fat distribution problem: loss of fat in face, legs and gaining fat on upper back & neck. what do you recommend me to replace zerit with ? my VL < 50, CD4 300+ I am also HCV pos.

Response from Dr. Moyle

We are currently doing a study in the UK to compare ziagen and viread in this circumstance. If you are on first ever therapy and there is no chance of resistance to nucs then I usually go for Viread (note also recent reports of lipid improvements after this switch). For any other circumstance I go for abacavir. The presence of Hep C doesn't effect the drug choice here but may be a factor that has increased you risk of getting lipoatrophy. It is not known if it slows fat recovery after switch

Regards

Graeme Moyle

Previous
hgh and epstein barr
Next
Drug combo. for slowing/halting lipoatrophy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.