ziagen vs. viread to replace d4t (taken with 3TC & efavirenz)

Hi, I am suffering from a fat distribution problem: loss of fat in face, legs and gaining fat on upper back & neck. what do you recommend me to replace zerit with ? my VL < 50, CD4 300+ I am also HCV pos.

Response from Dr. Moyle

We are currently doing a study in the UK to compare ziagen and viread in this circumstance. If you are on first ever therapy and there is no chance of resistance to nucs then I usually go for Viread (note also recent reports of lipid improvements after this switch). For any other circumstance I go for abacavir. The presence of Hep C doesn't effect the drug choice here but may be a factor that has increased you risk of getting lipoatrophy. It is not known if it slows fat recovery after switch

Regards

Graeme Moyle

hgh and epstein barr
Drug combo. for slowing/halting lipoatrophy