Fat won't come back!

Dr. Moyle, I know that research is continuing into lypodystrophy and lypoatrophy and that someday these problems might be prevented, but for those of use already affected isn't it doubtful that researchers will ever discover how to make the fat return to the places it once was? It just seems impossible that it would go back to the same place it was - it would more likely end up in a different place - like we've seen with the buffalo hump. I wish this weren't true and I could have hope that I would look normal again one day, but sometimes you just have to face reality. Thanks, Alex

Response from Dr. Moyle

It has certainly taken a long time to have even a modest understanding of the causes and have some ideas about how we might treat lipodystrophy. There are now several studies, some looking at treatment modifications and some looking at additional medications, which are seen fat reappear on the arms and legs in what appears to be a normal pattern. However, this fat recovery clearly occurs very slowly and so the appearance may not be improved for several years after the intervention has occurred or begun. Each conference that comes around here is little pieces of good news and eventually we will put these pieces together to more completely and perhaps more rapidly deal with the problem. In the meantime, often we are having to rely on our colleagues in plastic surgery to improve appearances. In most other forms of lipodystrophy this has been the mainstay of treatment since these problems were first described. In a way we have been lucky in HIV that we have come up with some good ideas within just a few years of recognition of the syndrome. We are however still in need are plenty more ideas.

Best wishes

Graeme Moyle

dental trouble due to hiv complications?
Breast fat deposits/pain