combivir /sustiva..which is the culprit??

Hi there, 43 year old female here, HIV/HCV infected for 19 years. I've been on the same effective regimen for about 4 or 5 years: Combivir and Sustiva. Undetectable viral load; CD4's 700--very good overall health. I'd like to alter the course of the facial wasting, skinny arms and legs, veins popping out, only gain weight in abdomen and breasts. What would be a recommended change...my doc isn't really up on this stuff. (P.S. Did a very short combo which included D4T, many years back) Many thanks for any assistance!

Response from Dr. Moyle

In your circumstances I would generally look at changing away from the AZT component of your Combivir tablets. The usual replacement is abacavir and clinical trials have indicated that fat may recover overtime after this switch. It may take one to two years before you can see that new fat. The other advantage of using abacavir in this circumstances is that it will eventually be available in a combination tablet with 3TC (the other component of your Combivir) and this combination tablet should be suitable for once daily administration.

Best wishes

Graeme Moyle

drug holiday
dental trouble due to hiv complications?