Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

doctors are a little off
Sep 10, 2003

I really don't think lipoatrophy even exists. What doctors are calling a loss of fat in the arms and legs (I believe) is actually a loss in non-contractile muscle tissue. Facial wasting is not about losing fat, it is about losing facial muscle tissue. That is why many get chubby cheeks accompanied by dug out eye sockets. There is no "redistribution" of fat, but simply fat gain and muscle loss. The face loses muscle and sometimes also gains fat. The same goes for the rest of the body. You guys should really focus on physical effects HIV and HIV meds have on bodybuilders, because their physical symptoms manifest themselves in a way that can be better seen, studied, and understood.

Response from Dr. Moyle

I prefer to rely on objective evidence. This says that it is clear that there is a marked decline in fat under the skin in some people with HIV infection on treatment but with relative preservation of muscle mass. These effects have been demonstrated in perspective randomised trials that represent the highest level of scientific evidence.

Perhaps in the future you may consider keeping uninformed opinions to yourself

Regards

Dr Moyle

Previous
cortisol drug
Next
Found a way to reduce my paunch

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.