For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Nothing working

I did a drug swith from azt,abc, & viranume to viread,abc and viramune hoping it would slow/stop my facial wasting. I have been on the new combo for 4 weeks and my face has gotten worse. I am so frustrated - I do everything possible to help, excericse, take lots of supplements (vitamins), avandia, watch what I eat (low bad fat, low sugars, etc etc )and switched from d drugs. I don't know what to do. Does it get worse before stablizes or am I just plain out of luck. I am at my wits end.

Response from Dr. Moyle

You have done everything right but I am afraid you are being a little impatient. It is not really known how long it takes for facial appearance to recover after switching therapy but is reasonable to consider 18 months or more as a timeline. By the sounds of it, you should consider discussing with your doctor cosmetic management to improve your appearance while waiting for the result of drug switching and avandia to kick in. Details of cosmetic treatments can be found at

Graeme Moyle

Is testosterone replacement necessary?
delaying the onset of lipo