Is testosterone replacement necessary?

Drs, I was given Androgel a few years ago to conteract lipodystrophy. My baseline testosterone level was never taken. I have been on a Dr approved 'holiday' for almost 2 years - all markers remaining stable. My lipo is much improved - but certainly not to a pre-HAART condition. I want to get off the Androgel now and see what happens. I have not talked to my Dr about this yet. What can I expect if I quit using the gel? Also, how long would I need to wait to get my testosterone level measured after quitting? I hear that low testosterone causes fatigue and depression so I'm assuming that would be what I would experience when I quit Androgel. Is it debilitating? I work and maintain a house and an active social life. Would this interfere?

Response from Dr. Moyle

It seems reasonable to have a break from the androgel and see how you feel. I would certainly give a minimum of six weeks before you judge how you're going as it may take this period of time or perhaps even longer for you to recover nor all testosterone production. It would be prudent for your doctor to measure your testosterone, sex hormone binding globulin and the hormones that stimulate testosterone production (LH, FSH) after that period of time.

In general, the side-effects of withdrawal from testosterone supplementation are modest and are not likely to be debilitating.

Good luck

Graeme Moyle

3 drugs vs 4 drugs
Nothing working