RU-21 (drug)

I watched a news report about RU-21.developed in Russia. It is distributed here as a dietary suppliment(so it does not have to be FDA approved). It is supposed to stop/prevent the liver and/or organ damage acquired by years of alcoholism.-could this drug help curve the damaging effects of the strong AIDS meds?

Response from Dr. Moyle

The website for the product, www.RU 21.com, has not provide details of the contents of the formulation although indicates that it includes a range of chemicals found in a normal diet such as L-glutamine (an amino acid found in most plant and animal protein), dextrose (a simple sugar, essentially glucose), succinic (one of the intermediates in the Krebs cycle in human cells) and the fumaric acid (a normal byproduct of human carbohydrate metabolism) and ascorbate acid (vitamin C). My impression would be that it is simply another overpriced food supplement that is no substitute for a balanced diet. The name is also rather tacky. I could not imagine that it is of any benefit to individuals receiving antiretroviral therapy.

Best wishes

Graeme Moyle

Question about suplement
Facial Wasting