Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

not facial, but calf and forearm wasting
Aug 11, 2003

Maybe you have answered this one about wasting. I don't have facial wasting. I have wasting in my calves and forearms and breast area. Why? The veins protrude terribly bad. I am a woman 30+ and can not even wear shorts. I am so embarassed. Please help me.....

Response from Dr. Moyle

People vary in the amount of fat they have in different parts of the body and so some people find that the loss of fat becomes most evident in one area the body another person who has the same amount of fat loss may notice it in a different area. In some ways you can feel grateful that it is not your face, as most people find loss of fat on the face to be the most stigmatising and socially affecting aspect of fat loss. Things that may be helpful to manage the problem may include modifying components of your therapy and adding in new agents which gradually help fat recover (e.g. both rosiglitazone and growth hormone have been reported to lead to either appearances of more fat, or improved appearance. You should talk to your doctor about what might be the best approach for you.

Best regards

Graeme Moyle

Previous
Gum wasting at early stage
Next
Hormones?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.