Too many T-cells?

I have facial wasting and loosing fat in my buttocks. I currently have 2,100 t-cells and viral load udetectable. I have been poz for 7 years, on medication for 5 years. I am currently on viread, epivir, and ziagen. I was taken off zerit about a year ago. Can too many t-cells mess with your body's fat distrubtion? Are there long term effects to having abnormal amounts of t-cells this high?

Response from Dr. Moyle

There have not been any studies which are found any association with high CD 4 cell counts and the risk of developing lipoatrophy. You would now be considered to be on a low-risk regimen for this problem and you may see some fat recovery overtime. However, a recent study of individuals commencing therapy for the first time we had the combination that you are taking did see a high failure rate leading to the study being stopped. It will be worth discussing with your doctor the results of this study and whether he feels that modification of your regimen is justified. It is possible if you have always had high CD 4 cell counts that you could have a holiday from medication altogether.

Best wishes

Graeme Moyle

NNRI
Gum wasting at early stage