Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Does HIV itself raise glucose levels?
Aug 4, 2003

Dear Dr. Moyle,

I have high glucose levels(fluctuating from 140 to 125, though it dipped down to 95 before rising again a month later). Can HIV in a treatment naive patient cause high glucose levels like this and the protruding stomach that I have developed?

Also, does HIV lower blood coagulation levels (such as INR) considerably? Mine is .70 versus normal range of 2 to 3.5...could this be due to HIV infection?

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Moyle

The answer to both these questions is no. The development of insulin resistance is linked to age, genetic characteristics, weight and diet. HIV drugs such as protease inhibitors can further add to insulin resistance. Clearly, if you ever need to start HIV treatments your doctor will advise you on which drugs you should avoid.

Best wishes

Graeme Moyle

Previous
Real Expectations from hGH
Next
wasted GUMS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.