Sustiva/combivir = wasting?

I'd appreciate your help with a question re wasting as it is one area on which I find the reading material a bit confusing.

I have been on Combivir/Sustiva since Feb and CD4 has risen from 268 to 568 and VL dropped from 420,000 to 150. Is this combination one that is known to produce wasting problems, and if so is there a guideline as to how long before you start to see any problems? Secondly, is wasting guaranteed or does it vary from person to person?

All my other indicators are fine by the way and I am normal weight. I also exercise and work out a few times a week.

Response from Dr. Moyle

It is probably possible to experience wasting or develop lipoatrophy on any of the available combinations. We know from clinical trials that combinations containing AZT are lower risk than those containing d4T. So your regimen might be considered lower risk but not know risk. Most people gain weight including fat in their first-year therapy. Surveys of individuals from then on therapy for three years suggest about 30 percent of individuals have developed lipoatrophy by this time. Individuals taking combinations that include both a thymidine analog and a protease inhibitor were most risk. Additionally individuals who have experienced an AIDS defining illness or had a CD4 below 200, are over the age of 40 also had an increased risk. Evidence would suggest that fat loss once it has begun can be restored through treatment modification or possibly through the use of supplementary therapies. For the time being I would stick with what you're taking

Best wishes

Graeme Moyle

BEST REGIMEN FOR WASTING
paranoia or stupidity?