Half meds/Zerit!! Please Answer!

Hi Doctor I have sent this question 5 times to switching treatments with no reply, please help. I am HIV pos >10 years and have been on Viramune, lamiduvine and Zerit for about 4 years, Six months ago I reduced my dosage by half to once daily without telling my doctor, my Vl at <75 and CD4 at 400 have remained stable at the last last, have I done the wrong thing, if so what should I do, I'm worried about resistance building, also I have symptoms of Lipo, can you suggest a replacement for the Zerit, I think this is the culprit!! Thankyou

Response from Dr. Moyle

If you are taking half doses of your medication you are setting yourself up to fail these medication and allow the virus to become resistant losing these drugs (and related ones) for ever. You should discuss with your doctor immediately what you have been doing and discuss how you can modify the regimen to improve convenience so that you can take your medication reliably in the future. If you are concerned that you are losing fat it may be appropriate to discuss with your doctor replacing the d4T with either abacavir or tenofovir. The choice of these drugs will be based on what resistance is present in your virus from any past therapy. Best wishes Graeme Moyle

Please help me help my partner
Muscle Wasteage