aids related dementia

someone close to me has just been diagnosed with advanced stage of aids and it seems dementia has set in. MRI has come back clear and patient is on combivir and sustiva - will the dementia symptoms go away? or what is the likelihood of them going away? Is he taking right meds? thanks for info

Response from Dr. Moyle

All of these drugs penetrate into the brain and should help control the virus in the brain. We know that these drugs are good at protecting individuals against developing dementia and there is evidence to suggest that cognitive function improves after taking effective anti-HIV therapy. The process of recovery may be slow but as long as there are no other infections in the brain it is reasonable to anticipate that your partner will recover mental function as he recovers his CD4 numbers

Best wishes

Graeme Moyle

lipodistroph
Please help me help my partner