|new fill, bio alcmadid or radiance
Jul 22, 2003
I want to get some filling in of my gaunt face--it's from sun damage. I have a high vl and ok tcell count. Which material will be safest--new fill, radiance or bio-alcemed?
Response from Dr. Wohl
Sun damage? Are you sure you don't mean 'nuke' (as in nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor) damage?
Fat wasting of the face complicating HIV therapy is a difficult problem with a limited set of promising treatments.
Newfill is probably the best known therapy and involves the injection of polylactic acid into the face, invoking a reaction that leads to filling out of the hollows of the cheeks. So far, in the series of cases that have been reported of patients treated with the compound and clinical experience in Europe, it seems to be well tolerated - at least in the short run.
Radiance or Bioform (calcium hydroxylapatite, (CaHA) microspheres suspended in an aqueous polysaccharide gel) and Bio-Alacamid (97% apyrogenous water; the remaining 3% is polyalkylimide based) have mush less data to support their use. In addition, they are harder to get and very expensive.
Unfortunately, there just has not been the type of scrutiny of these products that are needed to address your question. In addition, some of the safety is operator dependent, meaning the person injecting this stuff in your face needs to be very good at it. At present, the comfort level with Newfill seems to be growing.
More info can be found at http://www.facialwasting.org/pages/869165/index.htm
Good luck - DW
Treatment for Minors
Estimating annual cost for treatment?
- Can You Contract AIDS From Blowjob From A Prostitute?
- Black Spots After Anal Fingering Worried I Have HIV
- Flu Symptoms After Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Itchy Testicles After Touching Skin Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Pain In Urethra After Licking Anus Worried I Have
- White Bumps On Penis After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.