Weaning off Oxandrin

Dear Doctor;

What would be the best way to wean myself off of Oxandrin. I am currently taking 20 mg per day (10 mg twice daily). I have been taking it for almost two years and would like to see how I am able to do if I lower the dose. It was prescribed by my HIV specialist for wasting, but my weight hasn't come up during the time on the medication. In fact, I weigh about 8 pounds less than I did when I began therapy almost two years ago, although I eat a tremendous amount of food. Your comments would be appreciated.

Response from Dr. Moyle

It's a good plan to get off a drug that isn't helping and may be doing harm.

Withdrawal symptoms include mood swings, fatigue, restlessness, loss of appetite, insomnia,reduced sex drive, and depression. There are no clear protocols that I know about for discontinuation other than to stop and monitor. Using a testosterone gel may help reduce symptoms but ultimately one has to wait for the natural production of sex hormones resumes...this is generally thought to take 6 weeks or so.

Perhaps you should discuss with your doctor whether your HIV medications may be playing a role in weight loss and also talk to a dietitian about what may be done in your diet and exercise programme to help.

Good luck

Graeme

Winstrol
Arresting belly paunch and preventing facial wasting