Sitting Duck for facial wasting

I was recently diagnosed. I am 47 and have been suffering fatigue, low sex drive and weight gain. my t cell cnt is 262 my viral load is 220,000. I started Trizivir and Viread yesterday. My doctor told me that I am a sitting duck for Lypoatrophy I hope that is the right word he means the loss of facial fat increase in girth and appearnce of bulging veins on legs. To be honest over the last year I have felt like my stomach has been getting larger and my butt dissapearing even before I knew I was positive. Now that I have started MEDS I understand that this can happen very quickly and that once the facial wasting occurs that it is not reversable. Is there any kind of prevenative measures that I should be taking? Are there any treatments that can help to keep this side effect at bay? Is it just a wait and see thing and then when it happens is the only alternative fat injections in the face?

Thanks in advance for any information you can offer.

Response from Dr. Moyle

Its rather unconventional counselling to suggest you are a sitting duck! Risks for fat loss include CD4 <200, age over 40, prior AIDS illness, some genetic factors, whites may be more at risk than African Americans, as well as drug choice (d4T risker than AZT and Viread). So I am not quite sure how you are a sitting duck as you have few of these factors. As nucleoside analogs are thought to contribute to the syndrome I wonder why you have started on a 4 nucleoside regimen that has not been tested in clinical studies thus far. I would have thought viread/epivir/Sustiva would have been cheaper, more evidence based, once daily and known to be very well tolerated (including from a lipids and fat loss standpoint) over 96 weeks. Avoidance of fat loss is the best approach, practising evidence-based medicine the right starting point for this.

I hope this helps

Best Wishes

Graeme

Could this be a side effect??
morphing into a buffalo