lipodistrophy and medication

I been taking fortovase and combivir for 7 years, in all that time i been excellent in all my test. cd4 are 1120, and cd8 1023, undetectable viral load. I have several signs of the lopodystrophy. My question is ,can i suspend taking my madication in order to see if my body can recober ? and is it dangerous to stop the treatment?? Thanks for your help!

Response from Dr. Moyle

The risk of interuption of therapy depends on how low your CD4 were in the past. If you have been sick or had a CD4 <200 I would not interupt. Switching the AZT in Combivir to abacavir or perhaps tenofovir might help over the longer term (say > 1 year). Recovery of fat after moving off PIs is not reported but it may slow fat loss to switch to an NNRTI if that is an option. Good luck

Graeme

Might regime change reduce buffalo hump?
lipodystrophy.