Might regime change reduce buffalo hump?

I started on Efavirenz, 3TC & D4T just over 4 years ago, when my CD4 was 30 and VL 88,000. VL became undetectable in 3 months, and CD4 now mostly hovering in 400 region. (Dr. thinks last reading of 260 may be an abberration - will know soon.) Lipodystrophy occurred on legs and bum quite quickly, then 6 months ago started on my face. Changed D4T to Tenofivir and improvement was rapid. However, a buffalo hump began developing at time of change. Might this be a delayed reaction to the D4T, and might I expect a gradual improvement now that I'm off it? Or would a further change from Efavirenz to Nevirapine be more efficacious? Efavirenz has continued to cause sleep problems - constantly bizzarre or repetitions of mundane dreams/nightmares as well as emotional instability. Thanks, D.

Response from Dr. Moyle

I would expect the buffalo hump to resolve over time although your doctor may wish to do some simple hormone tests (morning cortisol, fasting insulin/HBA1c) to rule out other treatable contributors. If efavirenz is still a problem after all this time it is worth considering changing remembering that there are risks with nevirapine (rash, liver toxicity). Talk it through with your doctor. Sometime drugs like haloperidol 1.5mg (or even less) get rid of the dreams and may be worth trying for a short period to see if you can stop them happening Best Wishes

Graeme

a switch for facial wasting
lipodistrophy and medication