Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

facial lypo/high fat diet
Jul 1, 2003

Hi,

I acknowedge your recommendations for a healthy, low fat diet in HIV for basically every reason. (lypo, heart health, energy, etc.)

However, negative people who eat high fat diets tend to get fat, and therefore hae fat on their face, butt, etc.

Are you proposing that people on HIV meds (specifically PIs) who eat a healthy, balanced, low-fat diet would have less facial lypoatrophy than someone who eats a high fat, high calorie (overeating) diet?

Clearly, this is hypothetical, as facial lypoatrophy, while important, does not trump all other health reasons. I was just curious as to how a high fat diet would affect facial lypo as the low fat one. I suspect the drug and the individual person varies greatly here, and that a igh fat diet would be inconclusively beneficial.

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Moyle

Ultimately its persons who eat more calories than they need who get fat. Fat in the diet is necessary (for some fat soluble vitamins and other metabolic uses) and eating a high fat diet it is still possible to lose weight (i.e. the Adkins diet). Low fat, high omega-3 (fish oils) and high fibre but adequate in calories best fits the needs of lipodystrophy...reduce blood fats, improve fat profile, improve insulin sensitivity. These things help the weight you gain have a better chance of landing in the right place

Best Wishes

Graeme

Previous
oxandrin for lipo?
Next
Doctor wants to change my meds due to lipo.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.