|Purine & Protein
Jun 30, 2003
Hi, Diagnosed with gout a month ago, (Uric Acid 6.4), occasional joint pain. I watch what I eat and do low intensity workouts everyday to retain body mass (5'10", 165#, on Trizivr & Kaletra & Isoniazid), how do I keep protein in my diet and uric acid down? (please don't tell me more drugs!) sftommy
Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner
More interest in gout these days... makes me wonder...
Your body produces more purines than those you get in your diet. Generally diet is not the treatment of choice and I know you don't want to hear more about medications. So, let's look at what is in a "low purine" diet (used for gout and other purine-related problems).
In general the concepts around dietary treatment for gout mean:
1. Keep weight in a healthy range (not obese).
2. Go with low-fat choices and avoid large meals just before bedtime.
3. Eat an adequate amount of protein, not a high-protein diet. Make a note here that the average Western diet is around twice the level of "adequate" so it may mean lowering protein intake. You get protein primarily in the dairy and meat food groups.
4. Keep alcohol intake low (or better yet, cut it out). If you decide to party, go with one drink followed by something like club soda with a twist.
5. Keep fluid intake (not talking coffee or alcohol here) high, especially if you are on anti-gout medications.
6. Enjoy those fruits and veggies even more! Emphasize these food groups in your diet.
Before you head off with these instructions, make sure that you are prioritizing your dietary needs. For instance, if weight loss is a problem you may need to deal with that first before fine tuning a diet for gout. If you are diabetic, then you will need to even out your diet more than tilting it away from protein and into more carbs.
If you want to figure out how to tailor it specifically to your situation, that's what a dietitian can help you do. Get a referral and go for it!
Exercise & Meds
Diet Therapy for Wasting
- Is Rectal Bleeding An Acute Symptom Of HIV?
- Penis Discharge After Licking Genital Worried I Have HIV
- Sore On Tongue After Swallowing Precum What Are The Chances Of HIV
- White Tongue After Drinking Water Worried I Have HIV
- What Does It Mean When You Have A Discharge But No Std?
- Will A Cbc Count Tell If You Have An Std?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.