Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

advice
Jun 24, 2003

Hi, I am in Brighton UK and am hiv positive, I am taking nevaripine/combiver with good results and have been taking tretment for two years.I am experiencing facial wasting only and wonder what if anything can be done about. I did see my local gp the other week and he said i look more gaunt. Any advice would be helpful.

Response from Dr. Moyle

There are several possibilities. The Brighton HIV clinic is participating in a trial where people on AZT (part of combivir)or d4T are switching therapy to either tenofovir or abacavir, drugs thought to allow fat to recover. The study will involve special scans to measure the rate of fat restoration.

There are also increasing efforts to make NewFill available in the UK on the NHS....again the Doctors in Brighton can tell you their plans. If you have some spare cash and your doctor agrees it would help you could get NewFill privately via the distributor Medifill (contact Odile Brennan by calling 020 84441668) I hope this helps

Graeme

Previous
buff hump
Next
Nufil experience

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.