does lipodystrophy go away after being off meds?

I am a 29 year old female who has been hiv+ for 9 years. I have been on cocktails for 6 years, Due to good numbers with cd4 counts and viral load, and bad side effects(high cholesterol, very high triglicerides, decreased sexual drive and fatigue) my doctor has decided to take me off my meds. I have had lipodystrophy due to the meds. My question is now that I'm off my meds will the lipodystrophy go away? I have been over weight all my life but my belly is bigger than it ever has been and i have lost weight in my arms and legs. If it doesn't just go away is there anything I can do? I have just recently gone on a low fat diet and I'm doing a workout program called pilaties. Please help me if you can this belly of mine is really stressing me out. Thank you for your time. Rachel

Response from Dr. Moyle

Interuptions of therapy are not without risk. If you have had a CD4 <200 in the past there is measureable risk getting sick even during a short interuption. I trust your doctor has addressed this issue.

Facial and peripheral wasting may take a long time to recover (>1 year) if it ever recovers completely, so chances are that you will still have it when your doctor advises restarting therapy. The fat increases often improves more rapidly and will certainly be helped by making sure you are not overweight and are exercising regularly. Cardio exercise as well as stuff like pilates are useful. The advice of a dietitian may also help.

Good luck

Graeme

Suggestions To Promote Weight Gain
Weight loss