The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

lypo and lyposuction
Jun 17, 2003

Im a 45 year old male and hae been poz sice 1996, i am on med vacation, my viral load is 63,000 and my tcells are at 800, i have lypodistrophy in the neck region and it affects my self esteem and my posture, i have heard of lyposuction to remove this but am not aware of surgeons or insurance that will cover this...I am in the atlanta area and would like to know if there are any resources for info on a doctor that performs this surgeuy. My doctor says it has been two years off of meds and it may be awhile before i need t go back on them again. Is this unusal to stay healthy for a period of time on vacation.

Response from Dr. Moyle

You doctor would be the best person to recommend a surgeon. However, in general, fat around the head and neck has a tendency to grow back after surgical removal and the appearance may be lumpy after. Surgery is a last resort for this. Diet and exercise are a good starting point, making sure your weight is in the recommended range for your height and some simple blood checks to rule out hormonal abnormalities (thyroid, testosterone, cortisol, glucose) should be done. Staying off treatment is also likely to slowly help. How long you can stay off treatment is influenced by where you were when you originally stared therapy...if you started with a good T cell count and a fairly low viral load you may be able to enjoy several years off treatment

Best Wishes


HIV wasting or anxiety
mixing serostim

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint