Wasting on Treatment? Date of Infection?

Dear Dr;

First question- Will Trizivir and Sustiva cause any lipodystrophy or wasting in the near term or does it normally take a while?

Second Question- I'm curious as to when I was first infected with HIV. Is it possible to know this by looking at the numbers? Before starting meds my cd4 216 and viral load about 17,000. I have been looking at other postings on this site and it seems that most folks that have low cd4 like mine have very high viral loads like 100k+. How long do you suspect I have had this intruder in my body?

Many thanks.

Response from Dr. Moyle

1. Most people who take therapy don't get lipodystrophy and those that do cmmonly don't see anything happening in the first year or so. This combination is likely to be lower risk that some others although I am not sure whay you need 4 drugs if this is first therapy...it is possible that avoiding the AZT in Trzivir may further reduce your risk of lipodystrophy 2. A simple no. Different people take different times to rach the same point... for some just months others many years. I would focus on the future

Best Wishes

Graeme

Sureon to remove hump and belly from Lipodistrophy
Weight Maintenance Problems