Ultrasound assisted liposuction

Hi, I'm a 29 y.o. HIV positive, but otherwise healty, man with VL below 20 copies since shortly after commencing treatment in 2000 (Combivir and Sustiva), and CD4s stabile around 500. I am 6 foot 3 inches high and weigh 163 pounds - in other words tall, quite slim, nicely built except for some small but, however, annoying "love handles" and excess fat on the abdomen. This is not a HIV side effect as I had this excess fat since I was a teenager. I am considering having it removed by ultrasound assisted liposuction. Would you advice against that? And should I discuss it with my HIV doctor? I would rather not, because he would just try to talk me out of it because he'd think I'm too perfectionist/vain because I'm otherwise quite good looking. Thank you in advance for your reply!

Response from Dr. Moyle

Well....I would certainly discuss it with your HIV doctor and let your surgeon know your status. Ultimately all surgery caries a risk of death (very very low), harm (more often than death but still very rare) and for cosmetic surgery disatisfaction (common). Why put yourself at risk for something that is part of you and not doing you any harm? We all have love handles, just love then for what they are! Best Wishes

Graeme

CD4
ThermaCool for facial wasting