buttocks augmentation surgery to hide effects of lypodistrophy

I'm 54 years old, HIV+ for 20 years, in good health. High T cells and viral load undetectable thanks to a myriad of HAART combinations and very caring physicians. Yet, about four years ago I started to lose body mass in my forearms, legs and, especially, my buttocks. But I've managed to counter much of this loss with diet and constant exercise, weight training particularly. That is, everywhere except my buttocks. They've dissappeared to the point it hurts to sit on a hard surface. Having been a dancer for years, and thus vainly proud of my former dancer's butt, I'm so distressed by having lost it that I've resorted to wearing padded underwear. For the seat of my pants just hangs like old drapery. In a recent trip to LA, I noticed so many magazine ads advertising buttocks augmentation that it made me wonder if it was the result of a similar problem to mine. Is this a safe surgery? Is it one that could restore some of what I've lost? I know I have a lot to be thankful for having survived so well for so long, and feel rather embarrassed in even asking if you or anyone in this great forum offer any related information. But this is stressing me to no end. A million thanks.

Response from Dr. Moyle

This is a common amd distressing manifestation of lipoatrophy. I have no personal experience of this surgery but buttock augmentation is now a well recognised plastic surgical technique. Before leaping into this though you may talk to your doctor about a few other things...make sure your testosterone levels are OK and if not supplement....talk to your Doctor about a course of growth hormone which often helps rebuild buttock mass....discuss with your doctor whether treatment modification may help... Best Wishes

Graeme

Med change success for Lipo
nandrolone and testo