Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Injectable B12
May 22, 2003

Thanks for your help on this site, I really appreciate it. Is Injectable B12 good or bad when you are HIV + My trainer was saying it could be good to have a shoot every week, will help me to stay in good shape. Is it true ?

Response from Mr. Vergel

B-12 is probably the most researched vitamin in HIV with 97 citations in the National Library of Medicine data base. However, no one has proven yet whether it is better to take it orally, under the tongue,nasally, or by injection. I have tried all and I am very biased towards the injections (1000 micrograms once or twice a week). I (and many people I have talked to in my seminars) can feel more energy, appetite and mood, but the effect wears off withing 2-4 days. It is a water based vitamin that your body metabolizes in the kidneys to discharge any excess.

You need a prescription if you will go for the injections and 23 gauge - 1 inch serynges. Some people with wasting and malnutrition have low B-12 in their blood. Your doctor can check for that. Most of us have normal B-12 if we are healthy. But I use it anyway when I am very run down and my appetite is bad. Talk to your doctor about this since you need his approval for the prescription.

Previous
Lipodystrophy without meds
Next
please advise

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.