Changing drugs due to facial wasting/lipidostrophy

My name is Brian...I have known of my HIV status since 83' I have only been on HIV meds since 96' 3tc & d4t my viral load went form 30,000 to under 200 and t-cell went from 175 to 450-500...I have been on only these 2 drugs for 7 years and am showing small signs of facial wasting...I am wondering if its lipidostrophy...I have no other syptoms and my counts are still good...My doctor asks me to change d4t to viread...Should i chnage my regimine since its work so well for so long due to facial wasting???

Response from Dr. Moyle

This is a tough question and has 2 parts to the answer. You have done incredibly well with therapy so many of us would think don't change. Before considering change you need to be really clear that you are getting facial wasting. Compare photos, get your doctors considered opinion. If you decide to change it would be conventional to move over to a triple regimen, even though dual therapy has served well so far. I would be a bit nervous about using an NNRTI in this circumstance so would want to use a PI. It may be worth waiting for Atazanavir to arrive (? next week!!) before considering that plan.

I hope this is helpful. Whatever make sure you get close guidance from you Doctor and research the plan before deciding what to do.

Graeme Moyle

fat loss in face
facial and rear end wasting