Elevated triglycerides

Dear Doctor,

Is it a MUST for Hiv-infected patient without treatment (or hinted of the presence of hiv) at 3 or 6 months period with elevated cholesterol especially triglycerides ?

I am a bit puzzled of the further elevation of fasting triglycerides from 1.5 mmol/l (3 months) to 3.2 mmol/l (6 months) - Doubled ! (my LDL is also boarerline high at 4, and total elevated cholesterol is 6.8 (3 months) and 6.5 (6 months) I do not have heavy meat consumption, and of adequate diet. I do have intake of mulivitamin w/ mineral or B-complex from 3 months period onward. Thus, what disease could the cause such abnormaility in 3 months ? Thanks for your comment.

Response from Dr. Moyle

High lipids are something we see commonly in general medicine, sometimes associated with a family history of lipid problems, sometimes its dietary (simple sugars like in sodas and alcoholic drinks tend to push triglycerides up). In HIV sometimes lipids go up if someone is loosing weight or wasting. You doctor will check these things out at you next visit. Either way the results look fine and don't call for any intervention in any setting. You may wish to chat with a dietitian about your diet and exercise program, just to confirm you're doing the right things

Best Wishes

Graeme Moyle

buffalo hump surgery
AZT Switch