diet for insulin resistance

What can I do with my diet to get around insulin resistance? Should I stop eating carbs?

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

Reducing the problem of insulin resistance with diet is most safely done with a typical "diabetic diet." In this diet you do not have to stop eating carbohydrates. But you should count up the servings of carbohydrate (mostly in grains, fruits, and dairy) that you have each day and distribute them evenly.

For instance, if you should eat about 2000 calories a day, a balanced diet with extra "punch" for HIV might include 9 servings of grains, 4 servings of fruit, and 2 servings of milk or yogurt a day. Each of these servings provides about 12-15 grams of carbohydrate (1 carb serving = 12-15 g carbohydrate) and your total servings would be 15 per day. If you distributed these servings evenly you might have 4 servings in the morning, 4 servings at mid-day, 4 servings in the evening, and 3 servings during a snack.

So, you won't need to "restrict" carbohydrates, just count and distribute them. For more information on this strategy, talk with your dietitian and take a look at at the link below for some general nutrition advice.

Best wishes!

General Nutrition Information to Plan Diet

wasting
Selling of Newfill