AZT and Facial Wasting

I have been on Trizavir and Tenofivir for 1 1/2 years. My understanding was AZT does not contribute to facial fat loss. What is your experience? I was on PI's for 5 years and no fat loss. Since I switched to this treatment, the fat loss is very apparent. Was this a delayed response? I am wondering if I should get off AZT.

Response from Dr. Moyle

My impression is that lipoatrophy can occur on any treatment just that some are relatively risker than others. Some folks have reported improvements in facial wasting after switching d4T to AZT suggesting AZT is pretty benign. Also those switched from AZT to abacavir in another study did not seem to gain extra fat over 24 weeks. We know NRTIs are contribitary to lipoatrophy. It may be that being on 4 is too many for you. It may be worth discussing with your doctor if any switch options exist. Overall, abacavir and tenofovir seem to be the most benign drugs regards facial atrophy Best wishes

Graeme

Facial wasting vs. lipoatrophy
Testosterone in HIV+