Facial wasting vs. lipoatrophy

Dr. Moyle,

Welcome to the site! I have been a fan of this area for a while.

What really is the difference between facial wasting and lipoatrophy? Are they the same thing?

This is a source of constant confusion for me.

Remi

Response from Dr. Moyle

Lipoatrophy is loss of fat, it could be anywhere:local or general, whereas facial wasting is specifically just about fat (and possibly muscle)loss in the face. In persons with HIV and body shape chages the face is sometimes the only place affected and certainly most ofthen the most obvious place affected. The face may be managed by some cosmetic treatments (sometimes called 'fillers')that are not practical to use elsewhere.

HIV specific?
AZT and Facial Wasting