Cade Please help me to understand

Ok, I am off all the wasting drugs and now am on viread and trizivir only. What can I do to get my body fat back? Is it working out or food or more drugs, or a combination of. Thanks Tony

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

By being off all "wasting drugs" I will assume that you mean the medications that have been associated with fat wasting. Switches in medications have shown a very slight and fairly slow change in body fat deposition in some research. One of the problems may be the viscious cycle that occurs when you lose subcutaneous fat, which can lead to additional insulin resistance, which can lead to more loss in subcutaneous fat, and so on.

Adequate amounts of food to allow the body the additional calories to store without going overboard may be a good start. Exercise has also been used to improve fat deposition by improving insulin sensitivity. Medications that are under study and observation include those under the category of hormonal modulation and insulin sensitizers. While we wait for reasonable research, you may want to talk with your doctor and dietitian about medications and diet strategies to promote insulin sensitivity and break the cycle of lipoatrophy. Diet strategies will include adequate calories, inclusion of fiber and antioxidant sources (fruits/veggies, soy, and whole grains), and a more even distribution of carbohydrate throughout the day.

Best wishes!

ventral hernia?
lipodystrophy and diarrhea