The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Megace treatment
Mar 31, 2003

I have been offered to start treatment with Megace. I have now read the side effects and I was not happy. Apart from the rest of steroid treatments it also warned of impotence. Could you recommend any other medicine preferably tablets. I do want to gain some wait but not become impotent. When I read I would prefer anadrol or oxandin

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

If megestrol acetate (Megace) has been recommended to you, it is likely that you need to gain weight. The type of weight that is gained at therapeutic doses of megestrol acetate therapy is heavily weighted toward fat. In order to choose the best therapy, you will need to know what kind of body composition you have now (get it checked through bioelectrical impedance analysis [BIA] or anthropometry measures of body circumferences and fatfolds). You will also need to know more about things that may get in the way of you holding onto weight and a good body composition such as current hormonal changes.

You should know that any medication should be carefully monitored because they all have effects that you may not be happy with. If you match the medication with your need in a reasonable dose, you can limit the adverse effects while maximizing the effects you need.

Time to go back to your physician and ask what effects he/she hopes for you to achieve (weight gain, fat gain, body composition improvement, other...) before choosing.

Facial fat loss ?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint