wasting though high cd4 &low Vl

I've been positive for the last 26 months, my cd4 is 754 and vl is undetectable, not on meds but my face has changed, I look thin, why is this so? What can I do about it?

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

If you have lost overall weight it can make your face (and body) look thinner without necessarily being "facial lipoatrophy) and it is a good idea to see about restoring it. You can experience lipoatrophy without being on medications. The biggest risk factor seems to be more in line with a low CD4 and a high VL (and the restoration of those numbers).

The first thing I would recommend it to talk with your doctor about differentiating what you describe as "overall weight loss" or "facial lipoatrophy" before you proceed.

Maintaining your weight is incredibly important either way and doesn't seem to be an obvious point given the number of people who I have heard from about weight loss. So, it may be beneficial to you to get a referral to a dietitian who can help you with that piece of the puzzle.

Best wishes!

Facial Wasting
Body Mass Index